Ambala Cantt. is Ambala`s headquarter. It is a major junction. Delhi-Kalka & Saharanpur-Ludhiana`s railway lines passes through here. G.T. Road also passes through Ambala Cantt. This Cantt. was established in the year 1843. Ambala Cantt. is an important centre for manufacturing of scientific & surgical instruments. Kalka, is sub district head quarter of District Ambala, which lies on the national highway Ambala-Shimla.
This is entrance to Himachal Pradesh. The present Kalka was a part of Patiala kingdom, but in the year 1846 after capturing it, the Britisher included it into district Shimla. In the year 1899, Kalka was included in the district Ambala. The famous temple of Kali Devi is situated here, where every year in the months of March & April fairs are held. Narayan Garh, is head quarter of district Ambala`s sub district & divison. This place was found by the king of Sirmor (Himachal Pradesh), Raja Laxmi Narayan. After the decline of Mughal empire, the king of Sirmor build a palace in Kulshan & named it Narayan Garh. That is why it was named Narayan Garh.
Panchkula is a newly built City on Ambala-Kalka National Highway & Ambala-Kalka railway line near Chandigarh. Panch Kula is divided into modern sectors. In Panch Kula, there are two industrial areas & one cactus park. Hindustan Machine Tools Limited`s has it`s one unit in Panch Kula where spare parts for tractors are manufactured. A Youth Hostel has been constructed in Panch Kula, where young tourists are provided accomodation at subsidary prices.
Pinjore is one of the oldest, religious & historical place. According to "Gai E. Piligram" this area was habitated by ancient man. Weapons of Stone Age have been found from Pinjore from which it`s known that how ancient it is. Pinjore is also related to Pandavas, at the time of exile they stay there for some time while going to Himalayas. At that time this place was called PanchPura, which later changed to Pinjore. Pinjore is more famous than Mughal-Garden. It is north India`s old & important garden. It was made in 17thcentury by Aurangzeb`s architect Fidai Khan. After Fidai Khan left the place , this garden was over taken by Sirmor`s king. In 1775, the Maharaja of Patiala, Maharaja Amar Singh purchased this garden from King of Sirmor. Haryana Government has uplifted this garden & named it after Patiala State`s Maharaja Yadvendra as "Yadvendra Udhyan". After the establishment of H.M.T. factory in the year 1963 it became an important place. "Bhima Devi temple" is also here, which is related to Pandavas.
Due to its geographical location, District Ambala holds an important place in the area of tourism. It is the main entry to Haryana for the tourists of Punjab, Himachal, Jammu Kashmir & union territory Chandigarh. On the national highway of Chandigarh-Shimla, about 70 kilometers from Ambala, "Yadvendra Udyan" is said to be North India`s "Nandan Van". This big garden is divided into four parts. It has "Seesh Mahal" in its first part, "Rang Mahal" in second part, "Guldasta" & "Jal Mahal" in third & fourth respectively. A six-seven feet ------- canal passes through these parts. Carpet Grass, Tall trees, beautiful flowers & big fountains add to the beauty of this garden.There are restaurants of Tourism Department inside & outside the Garden. The mini Zoo here attracts a lot of children. It`s big Bajrigar Motel attracts a lot of tourists. In the centre of the Shivalik mountain ranges, lies the Morni Hills, a beautiful tourist place. For the entertainment of children, small playgrounds are made. The facility for RollerSkating Ring & Swimming Pool are available. It is an Ideal tourist place for the tourists who want to avoid crowd & those who love nature. In Panchkula there is Red Bishop & IN AMBALA City King Fisher are the tourist spots.